Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Farrer Park to Sommerset

This is a walking trip from Farrer Park MRT to Somerset MRT. From the map it looked like there are quite a number of parks.

The trip originated at Farrer Park MRT. The original plan is to walk from the MRT to City Square where the New World Eco green is. On reaching, I realize that  I could walk through the exit "I" to reach it directly. Thus the actual route starts at City Square.

The Eco Green is just a small garden with some plants in it. There is nothing interesting except maybe the Blue Butterfly bush.
The route then goes through Race Course Rd, I was hoping to find some plants there but it yields nothing except the White Trumpet Tree. This particular tree branch is low enough to take a picture on it. This tree is very common but most of it is too high to take picture. I am lucky that this one is low enough and have flower.
The plan is to cross Bukit Timah to Mt Emily Park. Instead of crossing via the Little India MRT passage way, I end up going the long way via Serangoon Rd and back. Then I was caught by the heavy rain near the Little India exit point on the other side of Bukit Timah Rd. It is luck that I took the long way otherwise I have no where to hide from the rain.

As the heavy rain subsides and I though I could proceed. It started to rain heavy again when I reach the heavy vehicle car park at Mackenzie Rd. There is no time to search for a passage way to Mt Emily Park. I took the nearest dirt track up the hill onto Mt Emily Rd and subsequently enter Mt Emily Park. This park has plenty of tree but no shrubs. Since it rained quite heavy now, I have no choice but to go directly across the park and stop at the only shelter there near Upper WiIlkie Rd. No picture is available in this park.

The rain again subsides and I continue. Just barely 50 meters down the road, the rain starts to go heavy again. Just not my day. Luckily there is nothing worth taking picture along the way. In a hurry, I took the wrong turn and end up in SMU. While trying to get back to the original route, I end up going through the SMU then Museum before turning back to Orchard Rd. Again it is a wasted effort walking in the rain as there is no interesting plant to take picture with.

Walking through Dhoby Ghout Park and Istana Park, there are some flowering plants. Unfortunately, they are already in my picture collection. Surely I don't want to get my equipment wet just to take pictures of them.

I then found a park that is not a park but there is a name for it. It is called "Penang Road Open Space". I wonder why there is a name for an open space that looked like a park. Again there are no interesting plants to take picture with in this park. Moreover, I passed it in a hurry as the pestering rain gets heavy again.

Took the wrong path again and had to turn back and hide at Winstand House to avoid the heavy rain again. The Scape Skat Park is just opposite the road. After a while the rain is not so heavy so proceeded into the park. Took a picture of this Good Luck Plant with nice red border. I could have chosen a better looking one but the rain keeps dropping thus just take a picture of it and get over with it.
The Sommerset MRT entrance is just beside this park. On checking myself, I realize that I am only half wet. Not bad for walking this far in the rain. I just need to hide in a corner of the train where the aircon does not blow at me directly and I can get home without catching cold.

The original route is just slightly more than 4 KM. The actual distance covered is 2 KM more. On Endomondo it showed that I walked 8 KM.

The wikiLoc route map is here.

The Picasa album has only 9 pictures thus not worth showing. You can see almost all the pictures in WikiLoc map.




No comments:

Post a Comment