Thursday, March 28, 2013

Conflicts between People

Out of boredom, I have joined some social groups. Just within less than half year, I saw a few conflicts occurring between members. It is not just a minor skirmish. Strong words were used in the ensuing conversation.

It is really sad that things turn out the ugly way. It all started with one member saying something and the other person responded explosively.

I remembered during the half year period that a fiend of friends in FB posted a remark on my timeline. My immediate reaction is a feeling of "is it any of your business to comment like that". If I had responded explosively, it would make my friend embarrassed that his friend offended me. I choose to just brush it off with a humorous self tease.

On another occasion, I was using a FB group to lamenting on some facilities that is not well designed for a certain activity and is resigned to it. Another member of the group posted a comment. The comment obliquely says that I am a pessimist. Again, it is a comment that would make me feel offended. I would not want to react negatively.

There was a recent reaction to the government to increase the population in the future by taking in more foreigners. One friend is so adamantly against it that he posted some remarks on FB in a group's posts on a totally different subject. Obviously, you will get explosive respond from others who are new citizens.

Revengeful comments/actions posted due to past unhappiness against a person is a very sad thing to do. It guarantees a strong response. Life is short, why remember past unhappiness and continues to present and future?

People usually get offended by comments made by others. They are offended because the comments seems to point directly at them. Those who posted comments does not know or does not care whether others will be offended by their comments. Those who responded strongly does not know that the comments may be just a brainless thoughts by individuals. This is the source of conflicts.

A Chinese idiom "退一步海阔天空,忍一时风平浪静" is a very good advice to follow. It is translated as "take a step back and you will see a wider world, endure a bit and there will be peace". Just let people have their say and don't react instantly. It does not contribute to anything good if you lash out on others' comment.



No comments:

Post a Comment