Monday, December 07, 2020

Internet Download Speed is Crawling

 Quite some time ago my win10 browser loading suddenly become sluggish. I check with Ookla Speed Test shows that the download speed is just 6 mbps whereas I subscribed to 1 Gbps. The upload speed is very much faster but still well below the 1 G bit as subscribed.

Tried various methods of finding out why the download is slow but to no avail. Checking the speed on my handphone proved that the router is OK thus not service provider problem. It is only the laptop that has the problem. It really puzzles me as it is not due to browser issue since Ookla has a app that could perform the test without using browser.

After a month or so of intermittent attempts to find the fault, I finally found a clue. Netizens mentioned that SmartByte Network Services could slow down network.

I uninstalled SmartByte and the speed went up to almost 1 Gbps. SmartByte come pre-installed with Dell laptops. There are instructions in the internet that teaches you how to uninstall it. One such example is https://windowsreport.com/smartbyte-services/.




No comments:

Post a Comment