Monday, May 16, 2011

CUDA

I have installed a program called FreeMake. It is a program that converts video to various formats. My primary use is to extract audios from VCDs as MP3 format. It worked quite well except that the program is CUDA cabable but it could not detect the GPU in my labtop.

On digging further I discovered that my graphic card is nVidia GeForce 7150M/nForce 630M. Going to the nVidia web site there are downloads available for this model. It also states that it has CUDA capability.

However, on searching its CUDA site, my card is not specified. Confused, I just tried to install the graphic driver. It installed successfully. Then I tried to install various versions of CUDA tool developer driver. None can detect my GPU.

Digging further, it was discovered to my dismay that the laptop graphic driver should come from HP and not directly from nVidia. I tried to install the HP version of the graphic driver. The CUDA tools still fails to detect the GPU.

On further search on the internet, many forums specifically states that the CUDA can only work for 8 series of the nVidia cards. Mine is the 7 series thus it is not supported. The hateful thing is that the nVidia graphic driver's description (for my model) gives me false hope and wasted my whole day trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment